Our athletes travelled to Nairobi on Thursday 14th November ready to prove that we are strong competitors in the athletics field. The opportunity to compete in a real stadium, on a real track, alongside the best of the best from other Kenya schools is one not to be missed.
Our team was made up of experienced runners as well as some who were representing the school for the first time such as the youngest members of the team from Year 3 - Abril, Nora, Ava, Alana, Alicia, Lorenzo, Daniel and Niraj.
The athletes were all a little nervous as they walked into the ‘Home of Heros’ and realised how big the track was. Despite this they all managed to put on a great show and made some new friends along the way! All competitiors did their very best and we were thrilled when some achieved medal places:
- Isabelle won bronze in the Under 9 Girls 1500m race with an extremely strong sprint to finish.
- Luca won bronze medal in the Under 11 Boys ball throw. (Luca has won a medal in this event in each of the last three years. Well Done!!)
- Treza achieved bronze in the Under 11 Girls 100m.
- Niraj came in with a silver medal in the Under 9 Boys 75m (Braeburn Nanyuki is definitely capable of producing the next Usain Bolt!).
- Josh achieved silver in the Under 11 Boys Long jump.
We also had a number of athletes finishing in 4th - Watch out Kenya, BNIS is a future powerhouse when it comes to athletics.
Ms Rose, Mr Franco and Mr Masafu were so proud as they watched the children compete with pride and not give up. Keep training everyone, we know we will accrue even more medals next year!